Officials at an interscholastic athletic event are participants in the educational development of high school students. As such they must exercise a high level of self-discipline, independence and responsibility. The purpose of this Code is to establish guidelines for ethical standards of conduct for all interscholastic officials.
As an official, I understand that it is my responsibility to:
- Master both the rules of the game and the mechanics necessary to enforce the rules, and shall exercise authority in an impartial, firm and controlled manner.
- Work with others, the state associations, and the sections in a constructive and cooperative manner.
- Uphold the honor and dignity of the profession in all interaction with student athletes, coaches, athletic directors, school administrators, colleagues and the public.
- Prepare myself both physically and mentally, shall dress neatly and appropriately and shall comport myself in a manner consistent with the high standards of the profession.
- Be punctual and professional in the fulfillment of all contractual obligations.
- Remain mindful that my conduct influences the respect that student-athletes, coaches, and the public hold for the profession.
- While enforcing the rules of play, remain aware of the inherent risk of injury that competition poses to student-athletes. Where appropriate, I shall inform event management of conditions or situations that appear unreasonably hazardous.
- Take reasonable steps to educate myself in the recognition of emergency conditions that might arise during the course of competition.
- Support the principles of Pursuing Victory with Honor and uphold the Six Pillars of Character: